Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Yes, I know - today is Thursday.

The season of Lent always seems to creep up on me.  I think the idea of giving something up for a period is good, but to me the point is to use that time, focus, etc. to focus on God instead.  Deciding the day of that I will give up sweets because the calories are bad for me anyway, just never seemed to ring true.  I'm not saying that God couldn't use that to speak.  I guess it's really about my motivation though.  If my reason was to pick something quick so that when someone asked I would seem super spiritual ...  well, I just decided it was better not to give up anything at all. 

Having said that - I am participating this year.  (And I don't say that to seem super spiritual.  ha.)  My friend, Micky, linked up to World Vision on facebook and it caught my interest.  So I have signed up for Relentless Acts of Justice.  Every day during the season of Lent, I receive an email with something to read and direction to pray about, think on, etc for that day.  I am excited to have something to go along with and curious to see what direction that takes.  There is also the option to do this with a group, but I will probably just end up processing some things on here.   

And yes, I did still sign up to do it the day before it started.  But that's okay.  And it's not too late to sign up now if you're interested.  I also was linked up to these ideas reccommened through our church, if you're wanting to go in a different direction - a daily reading from Online Lenten Devotional and 40 Days of Water through Blood:Water Mission.

 My first email included this Franciscan Blessing.  I will leave you with it:

May God bless you with discomfort. Discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart. Amen

May God bless you with anger. Anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace. Amen

May God bless you with tears. Tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain into joy. Amen

May God bless you with foolishness. Enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. Amen

And the blessing of God, who creates, redeems and sanctifies, be upon you and all you love and pray for this day, and forever more. Amen

1 comment:

Finding joy said...

OOHHH, I like that. It makes sense.