Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Twilight

I started to wonder about Twilight because of the Facebook flair. And there was a lot of it. So I decided to see what all the hype was about and requested the book from my library. ... in August. I didn't think to look how many people were in front of me, but when it hadn't come in by the end of September I looked online. I was sixth. So last week I finally finished it.

Mostly I enjoyed the book. It was a little slow starting out but got to be a real page turner. I read 3/4 of the book in one sitting. I mean it is about a girl who falls in love with a vampire, so there's the obvious tension there. Edward has got some chivalry going on. Maybe if all teen boys were a couple of centuries old they would be gentleman too.

I mean, I would say go for it. It's a good read and original (or the first like it that I've read). The thing that bothers me is that the book is primarily a romance written for teen girls. And is is very sensual. They don't do more than kiss, but ... I don't know how to explain it. I guess there is just a lot of emphasis (and description) of the chemistry between them. Her love also tends to be kind of obsessive. So I guess I just wonder if the young'uns are being set up for a fall into reality. But I guess in some ways that's as much a commentary on our culture as it is the story.

1 comment:

Becka said...

Probably just a commentary on literature in general. More specifically the romance genre.

If only my married life was as blissful as those Grace Livingston Hill books made it out to be. LOL.

THanks for your review. I won't be reading it because I hate Romance, Fantasy, Teen lit, and vampires.

Have any other reviews?

As an aside. My word verification is Moutcha. It sounds like it should be a word.