Monday, August 9, 2010

Must. sleep.

Sooo, I'm wondering if any of you mommies have tips for getting a child to sleep and sleep through the night. Is there something you tried that worked for you?

I do NOT want to do the cry-it-out method. If Sophi is just whiny or fussy she might put herself to sleep, but once she starts crying she does not soothe herself to sleep. I'm not willing to go there (and I don't really think that is the best thing for her).

I have been looking into the "No Cry Sleep Solution", but I don't actually have the book so I don't know everything that it entails.

Basically, Sophia is 8 months old now. We rock her to sleep, which I do not mind, but I'll probably start transitioning so that by 1 year she can go down while still awake. What is getting to me is that sometimes rocking isn't cutting it. She fights sleep really well. And from the point of bedtime to her actually staying in the crib in can be 2 + hours. In the night she usually wakes up 2 times before 7:00. She sometimes puts herself back to sleep and sometimes needs a pat on the back and a pacifier. Occasionally, it takes longer, but I don't feed her at night anymore.

Any tips for her sleeping better, getting to sleep easier, or me keeping sane, etc. are welcome. :)

2 comments:

Becka said...

We used three different methods.
For Marcus, we did cry-it-out. It was horrible and had negative consequences that I still see today. i.e. He does not come to me when he is crying...

For Weston, we co-slept, and when he was big enough for it, we moved him to a twin and Dustan fell asleep with him every night.

For Esther, we did a combination of the two. We would sit on her floor beside the bed and she would cry, but we would sing softly to her, pat her back, or rub her head. We would not, however, pick her up, or climb in bed with her. We let her cry, but we were there to comfort her.

All three of my children sleep well through the night now, and all three get ready for bed and go to bed on their own. Weston is definitely the neediest, and the one most likely to ask for snuggles.
Esther is fine with a prayer and a kiss, and Marcus is so independent he could probably live in the mountains on his own.

Terry and Patty said...

A full tummy and a warm bath. That puts me out.