Sunday, April 20, 2008

Into the Wild

This week Josh and I decided to enjoy the beautiful weather. We went out to one of the trails by the lake and decided to go for a walk: get a little exercise, enjoy each others company. We ended up on the trail that goes around the lake, so we decided to just go for it. It was gorgeous underneath all the trees, but when we got to the other side of the lake out in the sun I started dragging a little. But we made it! 4.8 Miles. I think it took us about two hours.

Things that I noticed on the trip:
1) It's a long way around the lake!
2) Our lake is really randomly placed in the very center of town
3) Baby geese and what we thought to be a baby heron
4) Baby birds of some kind and and we got to see instinct in action when the Mama bird tried to distract us and lead us away from her young. (We didn't hang around too long 'cause she was nervous to have us there.)
5) A Durkey!
There was this duck that had a crazy looking bill. It truly looked like a cross between a duck and a turkey. I didn't know such a thing existed. :) Just one more reason that I wish I had my camera with me.
6) And finally what I thought was a duck eating the head of another dead duck, but then it was apparently trying to drown the other duck because it wasn't really dead. Come to find out they were mating.
7) I'm so not a country girl



Another wild part of my week. My mighty hunter went out and got him a turkey. Thankfully he didn't bring it home like that. Basically he cut out the breast meat and brought it home. He pretty much took care of it. (It wasn't bloody, but did smell a little funky) I helped him bag it up tonight to put in the freezer. So I guess I'm gonna have to learn what to do with it. It should be easier than with venison, which I'm sure will also come. Did I mention I'm not a country girl? I totally cook with raw meat all the time, but somehow I was having trouble seeing it the same way. I'm trying! :) Good job, babe!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Remind me to never marry a hunter!