Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My time is worth something too

or
The Case of the Missing Applications
or
Bah! Cracker Barrel

So, I had an interview today with Cracker Barrel. (For those of you wondering I do not know yet if I got the job.) The job drama really needs to end at some point because it's getting tiring. Let me explain: Since probably January I have been looking for a part time job. The nutshell version of why is that I currently do not work full time and Josh and I could really use a full time income. I haven't been going crazy about it, but I have put my application in a several places to work evenings and occasional weekends. My biggest pet peeve about the whole thing is that NO ONE calls back. Not even to say, I'm sorry but we don't like you. My second pet peeve is that almost everyone has told me that I need to have "open availability", which basically means you can work when we say you work. Why is this? There are people in this world, this city even, who work two jobs.

Enter, Cracker Barrel.
When I dropped off my application, the girl I talked to said I could call, blah, blah, blah. So the following Monday I phoned and talked to a manager. He talked like he hadn't seen my application, but said I could come in for an interview that afternoon.
  • Fiasco #1 - didn't know the name of the person I talked to!
  • They finally decided it must have been ____. He wasn't there. I waited around for ten minutes for a different manager to be available.
  • She couldn't find my application. I filled out another.
  • In the shortest interview ever, she said my work history looked good, but their latest shift started at 5:00 (I was looking for 6:00).
  • Thank you, good-bye, one week passes
  • I call back to say that I can now be available at 5:00 (aka I finally caved).
  • She's not in so the transfer me to another manager.
  • He says I need to call back and talk to her. Did so. Set up another interview - today.
  • Fiasco #2 - I arrive armed with a name, to learn that she's not there! They try to find another manager.
  • After 15 minutes of standing around, during which time the shift had changed, I ask again. They search for manager again.
  • New manager asks my name to pull my application
  • Can't find it ... AGAIN!
  • Fill out third application and have interview
  • He feels that I would be better suited to retail (aka the store part of Cracker Barrel) rather than a server. Whatever.
  • Now have another interview on Thursday
All I have to say is they better know where my application is on Thursday.

No comments: