Monday, April 5, 2010

The shopping trip in which everything that can go wrong does (almost)

aka why our next grocery trip will take place when Daddy is home and can stay with baby

Josh and I don't have a lot of free evenings together. We have a lot going on during the week, and I am often working on weeknights. Well, last week I had a day off and needed to go grocery shopping. I have been going to the grocery on Saturdays recently so Sophi can stay with Josh, but it needed done and I was hoping to be at home that night so Josh and I could relax and hang out as family.

No problem. Sophi is really a great baby. She goes lots of places with me. She goes to work with me all the time so she's used to getting in and out of the car and such. I got a list together that morning, ate some lunch, fed the baby, and we were off. As soon as I step outside, it is drizzling. But whatever. So we're off.

I had a quick drop off for a friend. Since it was raining I left the baby in the car and just went to the door. (Don't freak out, the car was running and I could see her the whole two minutes that it took.) I got back in the car and smelled something kind of bad. I didn't think much of it because I had changed a dirty diaper in the car yesterday. So we head out ... to Walmart

I should have known better right there. I do not usually have good experiences at the Walmart here. They are always busy so there are long lines and far off parking spaces. But there were some non-food things I wanted to get, so Walmart it was. By the time we got there, I realized that the ripe smell was not leftover, but fresh. Thankfully, she did not overflow her diaper (so technically the title is wrong.) I changed her and put the baby in her front carrier (which I love!) and we headed inside. I'm ready to shop. No list. I pulled the list off the pad and left it on the table as I walked out the door.

No problem. It wasn't a long list anyway. I can get most of what I need from memory. Sophi was looking around at everything and taking it all in. She started to get a little fussy, but finally fell asleep. I was there for a while. Printed pictures, spent some gift money on baby things, bought the groceries, and headed to the check-out. It wasn't too bad. There were two or three people in front of me. But Sophi had woken up and was ready to leave. She started crying. I was a little harried trying to calm her down and get all the items up on the scanner. And by this time getting quite warm. But we were leaving. It was fine.

It finally our turn to check-out. I reached in my purse and it struck me - no wallet. I consolidate and put my necessities in her diaper bag a lot. But since I had just changed the baby, I threw an extra diaper in my purse and left her bag in the car. Thankfully, it was only in the car, but I felt awful. I already had a full cart load up on the counter (baby still crying). I apologized and sprinted out to the car to get my debit card. As soon as we got outside Sophi calmed down. The rain had stopped for the moment too.

As soon as I walked back through the doors, Sophi started crying again. Poor kid thought we were leaving. Unfortunately I needed two receipts that day, so when I got back in we still had to wait for the second batch to be scanned. By this time Sophi is getting hungry again. I felt bad for her, but there wasn't much I could do. It is a very good thing that there was a mom in line behind me. Because I think she understood.

I loaded groceries as fast as possible. We made it home with a happy ending ... but nothing for dinner!

No comments: